Boy with rare brain infection on ventilator
MIAMI - Family members of a 12-year-old boy who was infected by a rare and deadly amoeba say he's on a ventilator.
Zachary Reyna has fought the brain infection for weeks. Family members say he was infected while knee boarding with friends in a ditch near his family's LaBelle home on Aug. 3.
His uncle, Homer Villarreal, says doctors say his brain isn't showing any activity.
Family members and friends were visiting Reyna on Sunday at Miami Children's Hospital.
A post on the Facebook page the family set up said his parents planned to donate his organs.
Infections from the amoeba are rare. Twenty-eight infections were reported in the U.S. from 2003 to 2012.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Sen. Troy Brown will spend the weekend in jail
Spanish Town Parade asks for usual irreverence but inclusion
Residents on edge as Comite River crests above flood stage
Baton Rouge residents gather to watch Trump's inauguration
Police believe illegal immigrant could be tied to other sex crimes