Bourbon St. shooter receives 60-year sentence
NEW ORLEANS - Trung Le, convicted of manslaughter in a Bourbon Street shooting that left one person dead and another nine injured, has been sentenced to 60 years in jail.
The sentence was handed down Monday in court. Le had been convicted of manslaughter in January by a jury that deliberated less than two hours. He was also convicted of attempted second-degree murder.
Le and another person engaged in a shootout on Bourbon Street in July 2014. The shooting took the life of Brittany Thomas, and left several others with wounds they still cope with today.
Thomas was 21 years old from Hammond and studying to be a nurse at Camelot College at the time of the shooting.
The defense for Le, the lone man facing charges for the shooting, rested without calling a single witness. However, Le's attorney, Martin Regan, offered a closing argument that lasted nearly 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Prosecutors said Le fired the first four shots at an unknown second gunman. But Le's defense attorney said that flight alone does not prove guilt, and that Le fled to Mississippi, where he was arrested, to get money from relatives for a lawyer.
Prosecutor Tiffany Tucker said, "You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun." She also said Le had "taken no responsibility, has offered no apologies" for his actions that day.