Blind man escapes apartment blaze
BATON ROUGE- A man, who is blind, lit his apartment on fire attempting to light a cigarette Friday evening.
The fire department was called to the Black Stone Manor Apartments on Brookstown Drive. A bedroom of a ground-floor apartment was on fire, the department reported.
The man told firefighters he was lighting a cigarette while sitting on the bed and he heard a popping noise. He left the apartment and the fire was contained to that room.
The apartment sustained smoke damage but no other units were damaged.
The fire was ruled an accident.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Multiple agencies investigating body found under truck
National Anthem protests take center stage in football world
Local restaurant refuses to show NFL games following national anthem protests
EBR schools forums focus on adding facilities, programs to the school system
Cowboys, Cardinals lock arms during national anthem at Monday Night Football