Baton Rouge food bank returns to warehouse after last month's flood
BATON ROUGE – The Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank lost about 600,000 pounds of food in last month's historic flood and moved to a temporary location, but now the organization is returning to its warehouse and beginning its normal operations.
The food that was able to be salvaged during the flood was moved to a different location and distributed to victims, leaving behind a gutted warehouse.
"We had a situation where we lost all of our offices all of our office furniture all of our office equipment so we're rebuilding a food bank starting from ground zero," Mike Manning, of the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank, said.
However, after weeks of hard work, the food bank is on its way to recovery.
"It's basically been a process of getting all that food out and we had to pressure wash detergent wash dry," Manning said.
According to Manning, the organization can move food back into the warehouse and begin using it again, but the building still faces about $5 million in flood damages.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Officials urge drivers to prepare ahead of holiday traffic Officials urge drivers...
Gas prices in Baton Rouge drop below $2 just in time for...
Massive crash shut down I-10 West for hours Monday
Local food bank may have to turn people away this season
Parish president threatens to build wall over downstream impact from EBR developments