Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Baker family temporarily homeless due to fire

3 years ago October 08, 2012 Oct 8, 2012 Monday, October 08 2012 Monday, October 08, 2012 3:26:42 PM CDT in News
Source: WBRZ
By: Adrian Pittman

BAKER - A fire which started from an exploding car battery left a Baker family temporarily homeless.

The fire happened Sunday in the 3600 block of Harding Street. Investigators said it started in a shed next to the house, when a newly-purchased 2005 BMW's battery exploded.

The fire then spread to the nearby carport, and was put out right before it reached the house. The fire also burned a wooden fence and damaged a shed on the a neighbor's property.

Even though the house wasn't destroyed, the fire caused major electrical problems which makes it unlivable. Homeowner Robert Young said he's counting his blessings, since he and his family escaped wihtout injury.

"We're just thankful to get out of there cause actually looking at it, when you have a fire to that extent coming from the outside in, by time the smoke detectors detect it, you may be already knocked out by the spoke," said Young.

The fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days