Associated Grocers fire ruled electrical failure
BATON ROUGE - Investigators said today that a fire at the Associated Grocers warehouse which took ten hours to put out was caused by an accident.
Eldon Ledoux with the St. George Fire Protection District said the fire appears to have started due to an electrical failure in a space between the ceilings and the roof.
He said it wouldn't have been possible for someone to get into that space without demolishing the building, so they were satisfied the fire wasn't deliberately-set.
Firefighters received the call about the fire Wednesday around 12:30 p.m. Ledoux said the fire was contained to administrative offices between the site's warehouses, and took firefighters ten hours to fully extinguish.
He said one veteran firefighter called it the most labor-intensive fire of his career.
There's no estimate currently on the amount of damage the fire caused. No one was injured in the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Flood victims could qualify for new bathroom, kitchen
New details on Vice President Mike Pence's visit to Baton Rouge Wednesday
Cop's alleged racist messages on gay chat app under investigation
Scotlandville High honors 17-year-old cancer victim at graduation ceremony
2 escape house fire on Woodglynn Drive