Army troops isolated after Africa duty tour
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon says dozens of Army soldiers and their two-star general are being isolated at their base in Vicenza, Italy, as they return after serving in West Africa to help with the Ebola fight.
Maj. Gen. Darryl A. Williams, the commander who led the U.S. response in Liberia, returned to Italy with 11 staff. They will be restricted in an isolated location and will not be allowed to go to their homes for 21 days. Several dozen more are returning in the coming days and will also be isolated.
Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman, says Army leaders made the decision. So far, it only affects soldiers. He says no exposure incident triggered the decision, but they will be checked regularly for any Ebola symptoms.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Small plane makes emergency landing in Scotlandville Friday; no injuries reported
Southern University police bust a move while filming 'Lipsync Challenge' video
Still no leads in parish-wide cat killings
Resident trying to stay cool amid heat advisory this weekend
USPS investigating mail found in storm drain