Apartment fire started by unattended stove
BATON ROUGE - Firefighters said today that an apartment fire in Baton Rouge Sunday night was caused by a pot left unattended on a unit's stove.
It happened Sunday evening around 7 p.m. at the Evangeline Place apartment complex on Annette Street.
Curt Monte with the Baton Rouge Fire Department said the fire gutted the unit's kitchen and living room and caused smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the unit. He said other units nearby also had smoke damage.
The Red Cross said they assisted 14 people living in nine units with temporary housing, food, clothing, shoes and comfort kits.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Officers, teens discuss difficult issues at Baton Rouge conference
EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral
New Roads community commemorates Memorial Day with a 'blessing of the boats'
Crews respond to fire at abandoned house on Lobelia Avenue
Video of EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral