Apartment fire leaves ten families homeless
PORT ALLEN - Nearly a dozen families are homeless after their apartment complex went up in flames overnight.
The fire broke out late Wednesday night in the 800 block of Avenue A in Port Allen. Firefighters believe a grease fire started on a stove in a bottom unit before spreading.
The flames along with smoke and water damage destroyed the complex. Residents living in the complex say they're thankful they got out in time.
"It could have been so much worse. It could have been lives lost. Material things can be replaced but lives can't be replaced. It's a thank God moment," said resident, LaShonda Dogan.
One person was taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation.
This morning fire crews had to go back to the scene after a small flare-up was reported.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Roundabouts planned throughout Livingston Parish
Criminal justice bills derailed by Louisiana budget feud
EXCLUSIVE: Mayor speaks out after call for firing of BRPD officer
Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
RAW: Video shows Southern's Devon Gales walking with robotic exoskeleton