4 at slaughterhouse behind beef recall indicted
PETALUMA, Calif. - A federal grand jury has indicted four officials at a Northern California slaughterhouse, alleging they slaughtered diseased cows while inspectors were on their lunch breaks and distributed the cattle.
The Petaluma-based slaughterhouse was at the center of massive beef recall earlier this year. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has said Rancho processed diseased and unhealthy animals and circumvented federal inspection rules.
Prosecutors announced the charges against Rancho Feeding Corp. co-owners Jesse Amaral Jr. and Robert Singleton and employees Eugene Corda and Felix Cabrera on Monday.
Prosecutors say Cabrera and Corda and instructions from Amaral and Singleton were involved in the slaughter of cows with diseased heads. They are accused of then concealing the heads by swapping them with healthy cow heads.
It wasn't immediately clear whether the men had attorneys.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Teens recognized as state\'s top future soldiers by Governor Edwards
Coursey Blvd. gardening business vandalized, owner says more than $10,000 in damages
Man arrested accused of injuring prominent realtor in Prairieville
Baton Rouge man treated by President Trump's doctor after medical emergency
Families, veterans pay respects on Memorial Day at Port Hudson National Cemetery