Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

3 arrested in deadly attack on ULL students

4 years ago January 22, 2011 Jan 22, 2011 Saturday, January 22 2011 Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:59:45 AM CST in News
Source: Associated Press

LAFAYETTE, La.- Three men face charges in an attack last fall in which a University of Louisiana at Lafayette student was beaten to death and his roommate severely injured.

Lafayette Police told The Advertiser that Ian Trahan, 21, of Youngsville and Wayland Guillory, 23, of Lafayette face one count each of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder. A third man, Cody Moore, 21, of New Iberia, was booked with accessory after the fact to first-degree murder and accessory after the fact to attempted first-degree murder, police said.

The arrests Wednesday come nearly three months after Kenneth Donnelly Jr., 20, of Alexandria was found dead Oct. 28 in his home, just off campus.

Donnelly's roommate, whose name has not been released, also is from Alexandria. An affidavit in the case states that the roommate suffered numerous facial fractures and a laceration to his left ear, resulting in permanent hearing loss.

Cpl. Paul Mouton, a spokesman for the Lafayette Police Department, said investigators believe the victims and the suspects had "knowledge of each other" before the attack, but are not ready to release the extent of their relationship.

Police also have not released a motive for the attack, but Mouton said investigators have information indicating that drugs might have played a role.

Mouton said the case remains under investigation and there could be additional arrests. The Lafayette Police Department, Lafayette Metro Narcotics Task Force, Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office and the university's police department all have been involved in the investigation.

All three suspects remained in the parish jail. Moore's bond has been set at $25,000. Trahan's bond is $500,000, and Guillory has multiple bonds for multiple charges, the highest being $500,000 for the charge of attempted first-degree murder.

"We are grateful for law enforcement's diligent investigation into the murder of one of our students," the university said in a statement. "Safety awareness is heightened after a crime occurs but tends to wane with the passage of time. Although arrests have been made in this case, we encourage students to remain aware of their personal safety at all times."

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days