Posted: Mar 4, 2014 9:56 AM by Cheryl Stroy
GILLIAM, La. - Officials say a Gilliam man and his girlfriend died in a fire that destroyed their mobile home.
Caddo Fire District No. 7 Chief Danny Richardson when firefighters arrived at the scene Monday, it was too late to rescue 35-year-old Adonis Walker and his girlfriend, 32-year-old Hanna Hawkins.
State Fire Marshal Deputy Chief Brant Thompson says neighbors heard Walker and Hawkins screaming from their trailer, but were driven back from their rescue attempts by heavy smoke and flames.
Outside the trailer, Thompson said fire officials discovered an extension cord connected to an electrical system without a meter. He says the hookup likely played a role in the start of the blaze.
Fire officials said there was no working smoke alarm in the home.