Posted: Aug 12, 2011 2:55 AM by Brittany Rivas
BATON ROUGE- Red Cross is assisting multiple families, including 14 children after four home fires on Thursday.
The first fire happened around 5:30 a.m. in the 4700 block of Monarch. One adult and three children were home at the time and escaped unharmed before firefighters arrived. Officials say a child playing with a lighter started the fire.
The child involved was counseled on scene by Baton Rouge Fire Investigators and will be entered into the Juvenile Fire Setter Program for more education on the danger of fire.
A family of two adults and five children were displaced from their home when it caught fire around 4 p.m. in the 400 block of Lafourche Street in Donaldsonville. One firefighter was taken to a local hospital with heat exhaustion.
Another home caught fire around 7 p.m. in Denham Springs. It left a family of one adult and four children homeless.
The last blaze happened around 8 p.m. in the 1600 block of Myrtle Walk Street. Officials say the fire likely started by the improper use of an extension cord. Investigators discovered an extension cord that had been cut and spliced into several different appliances. The occupants, one adult and two children, escaped unharmed before firefighters arrived.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter of the Red Cross has responded to several fires since early Monday morning, including an apartment fire that affected 30 units. If you would like to donate to the Red Cross, visit their website batonrouge.redcross.org.